The 162nd annual convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Kansas took place Sat., Oct. 23, 2021 at Grace Cathedral in Topeka, KS
Convention was offered via two options: in-person at Grace Cathedral or online via Zoom.
Elections were held to select representatives for the Council of Trustees and Disciplinary Board.
Council of Trustees Election: Three people were elected to the Council of Trustees. Stephen Mann and Tom Baker concluded their terms on the Council.
- The Rev. Casey Rohleder, at-large clergy representative, 3-year term (re-elected)
- The Rev. Marc McDonald, at-large clergy representative, 2-year unexpired term
- Elizabeth Fitz Gibbon, at-large lay representative, 3-year term
Disciplinary Board Election: Seven people were elected to the Diocesan Disciplinary Board and will serve for the next three years.
- Barry Carroll
- The Rev. Kay Dagg
- The Rev. Christine Gilson
- Julia Hart, president
- The Very Rev. Torey Lightcap
- David Littrell
- The Rev. Kitty Shield
One canonical amendment was approved adjusting Canon IV.2 “Of apportionments” to allow for the appeal of a reporting error and correction/adjustment of a parish’s apportionment. See the full diocesan canons here.
Three debatable resolutions were presented and passed.
- This resolution recommends the Sacred Ground curriculum to the people and congregations of the diocese and encourages ongoing study. This resolution also encourages congregations to report their ongoing work so that others may benefit. (See page 12 of the Convention Book for complete text.)
- This resolution condemns the efforts of the Kansas legislature to pass anti-voter laws, especially HB 2183 and HB 2332, and memorializes the legislature of the State of Kansas to expand voter access. (See page 13 of the Convention Book for complete text.)
- This resolution encourages the recognition and celebration of the Season of Creation each year (September 1 to October 4) utilizing resources published on the Diocesan website and elsewhere. This resolution also says the diocese will promote the use of sustainislandhome.org and encourage parishioners to take the Sustaining Earth Challenge.
The 2022 Mission Plan and apportionment schedule was presented and approved.
- Church of the Covenant, Junction City, $3,000
- Grace Cathedral, Topeka, $3,000
- St. Stephen’s, Wichita, $800
- St. Peter’s, Pittsburg, $1,274
- St. Paul’s, Kansas City, $3,000
- Bethany House & Garden, Topeka, $3,000
Deacon’s Cross: Sandy Horton-Smith, St. Paul’s, Manhattan
Canon’s Award: Christine Gilson, St. John’s, Wichita
Bishop’s Chair: Ellyn Owen and Nancy Hanson, Trinity, Lawrence
- Alleluia Grants
- Youth, Young Adult & Campus Ministry photo slideshow
- Full video of Diocesan Convention
- 2021 Convention Book (PDF): contains the schedule, nominations for elections, debatable resolutions, proposed mission plan and proposed apportionment schedule.
- Updated 2022 Proposed Mission Plan (PDF)
- Convention Eucharist (PDF)
- Noonday Prayer (PDF)
- Commissioning Service (PDF)
- Election/Voting Instructions (PDF)
- Journal of the 161st Annual Convention (PDF): contains the staff directory, list of clergy, constitution and canons, minutes of the 161st Diocesan Convention, official bishop’s acts for 2020, annual reports of committees, commissions, and institutions, parish financial data, and parish membership data
- Bethany House and Garden Booklet (PDF): information about the vision and design for the diocesan grounds at Bethany Place