The 161st annual convention of the Episcopal Diocese of Kansas – Oct. 24, 2020
The convention this year took place in a hybrid format, with some people gathering in a location within each of the diocese’s 11 minsters, and others participating from home. All were connected through Zoom video conferencing. Bishop Cathleen Bascom and other advisors were connected from one of the classrooms at the Bishop Kemper School for Ministry. She gave the annual bishop’s address from that location.
The work of youth, young adult and campus ministry, and the new Bethany House and Garden, were highlighted by videos, and the presentation of checks to the four outreach ministries receiving Alleluia grants also took place by video.
Videos introduced delegates and clergy to those from the diocese who are attending either residential seminary or Bishop Kemper School for Ministry, the recently serving members of the Council of Trustees, delegates representing youth and campus, and members of the diocesan staff.
The annual awards also were presented via video:
- The Bishop’s Chair Award, given to a lay person for outstanding ministry: Stephan Mann, St. Luke’s, Shawnee and a member of the Council of Trustees
- The Canon’s Award, given to a priest for outstanding ministry: The Rev. Gar Demo, rector of St. Thomas’, Overland Park, and canon for congregational mission
- The Archdeacon’s Cross Award, given to a deacon for outstanding ministry: Deacon Jim Cummins, St. Francis’, Overland Park
The proceedings were streamed live to the diocese’s YouTube channel, and the concluding service of Holy Eucharist with Spiritual Communion, filmed at Grace Cathedral, are available for viewing.
The following people were elected to diocesan offices during the convention, using an online voting platform for the first time:
- Council of Trustees, at-large clergy member: the Rev. Ashley Mather, Grace cathedral, Topeka
- Council of Trustees, at-large lay member: Diana Waddell-Gilbert, Good Shepherd, Wichita
- Disciplinary Board, clergy members, 1-year unexpired terms: the Rev. Christine Gilson and the Very Rev. Torey Lightcap
- Disciplinary Board, lay member, 1-year unexpired term: Jeff Ellis, St. Michael and All Angels, Mission
The convention also affirmed the election of new clergy members of the Council of Trustees from each of the diocese’s four convocations:
- Northeast: Deacon Jim Cummins, St. Francis’, Overland Park
- Northwest: The Rev. Greg Doll, St. Mark’s, Blue Rapids and St. Paul’s, Marysville
- Southeast: The Rev. Mary Schrom Breese, Epiphany, Sedan
- Southwest: The Rev. Andrew O’Connor, Good Shepherd, Wichita
Financial mission plan
The convention also adopted the proposed mission plan (budget) for 2021 in the amount of $1,923,187, along with a schedule of apportionment payments to come from each parish to help fund the plan.
You can see everything in this year’s convention book in the online version of the book.
View the online convention book.
A copy of the book, as a PDF, is also available to download.
Minster project booklet
This booklet provides information about the 11 minsters of the diocese and is intended to guide minster-level conversations during Diocesan Convention.
The minster project booklet is available for download as a pdf.
Worship booklet for the Holy Eucharist with spiritual communion
This is the worship booklet for the online service of Holy Eucharist with spiritual communion, during Diocesan Convention.
The worship booklet is available for download as a PDF.
The Journal of the 160th Annual Convention
The Journal from the 160th Annual Convention of the diocese, which took place Oct. 18-19, 2019, is available as a PDF.